As a performance venue, we have a responsibility to provide a safe working space for all of our cast, crew, and audience alike.
The Theatre Royal Crew Training Initiative is an annual certification scheme that introduces and maintains local crew members knowledge and skills to ensure backstage activities are carried within house protocols and the greater industry safe working practices.
Courses are for those acting as Stage Managers, Fly Operators or Technicians.
Courses are held onstage at The Nelson Theatre Royal. By attending an induction or refresher annually individuals maintain their ticket – their right to work in the building in their trained role. Participants also receive a take-home resource and a crew pass.
Upcoming Course Dates
Mon 17 Jul, 6pm – Stage Manager Refresh
Tues 18 Jul, 6pm – Fly Operator Refresh
Weds 19 Jul, 6pm – Technician Refresh
Thurs 20 Jul, 6pm – Stage Manager Induction
Fri 21 Jul, 6pm – Fly Operator Induction
Mon 24 Jul, 6pm – Technician Induction
Need crew? Forgot when you trained?
Click for the Crew Register: Feb 2017
Who needs to attend? Anyone wishing to fill any of the roles below:
- Technicians – Those working with our technical systems
- Stage Managers / Assistant Stage Managers
- Fly-Tower Operators
A person of any age can attend our courses as a learning experience and will receive a Junior Crew Pass to identify their attendance. Juniors may participate in work, but only under the direct supervision of identified experienced senior crew members.
Minimum ages to achieve tickets and undertake work in the building as the following roles are:
- 13 Years Old : Technician
- 16 Years Old : Fly Tower Operator
- 18 Years Old : Stage Manager
Who doesn’t need to attend/hold a ticket?
- Those working in any other backstage capacity: Cast, Musicians, Stage Hands, Props, Callers, Runners, Hair & Makeup, Set Builders, Costume, Media, Door Minders etc.
- Board-operators (Sound or lighting) when either: a Venue Technician or a suitably ticketed crew member is on-site as the relevant Department HOD – and holding responsibility for their systems.
- Curtain Operators for short term hires where a Venue Technician provides training.
- Those working under the direct supervision of a Venue Technician.
- Industry Professionals.
Application / Attendance
Courses are held twice annually, typically at the beginning and middle of the year.
Course dates are released via our ‘Technical Notes’ e-newsletter.
Sign up to receive ‘Technical Notes’
Fees are as follows.
$20 per person for one course
$35 per person for two courses
$50 per person for all three courses
If you are volunteering for a production they may cover your fees. You should ask them!