The Theatre Royal Crew Training Initiative is an annual certification scheme that introduces and maintains local crew members knowledge and skills to ensure backstage activities are carried within house protocols and the greater industry safe working practices. As a performance venue, we have a responsibility to provide a safe working space for all of our cast, crew, and audience alike.
Courses are for those working in the capacity of Venue Stage Managers, Fly Operators or Technicians.
Courses are held onstage at The Nelson Theatre Royal. By attending an induction or refresher annually individuals maintain their ability to work in the building as their trained role.
Participants also receive take-home resources.
Upcoming Course Dates
Courses are all done for 2017!
Dates will be released for 2018 in the coming months.
Need crew? Forgot when you trained?
Click for the Crew Register: August 2017
Who needs to attend? Anyone wishing to fill any of the roles below:
- Technicians – Crew who work with our technical systems.
- Venue Stage Managers – Those who hold responsibility for the facility during occupancy.
- Fly Tower Operators – Operators of our fly rigging system.
A person must meet the following minimum age requirements to be certified for working with our systems.
The minimum ages for each course are as follows:
- 13 Years – Technician
- 16 Years – Fly Tower Operator
- 18 Years – Venue Stage Manager
Who doesn’t need to attend?
- Those working in any other backstage capacity: Cast, Musicians, Stage Hands, Props, Callers, Runners, Hair & Makeup, Set Builders, Costume, Media, Door Minders etc.
- Board-operators (Go button operation of sound or lighting) when either a Venue Technician or suitably ticketed crew member is on-site as the relevant Department HOD; holding responsibility for their systems.
- House curtain operators for a short term hire when a Venue Technician provides training.
- Those working under the direct supervision of a Venue Technician.
- Industry Professionals.
Application / Attendance
Courses are held twice annually, typically at the beginning and middle of the year.
Course dates are released via our ‘Technical Notes’ e-newsletter. Sign up to receive ‘Technical Notes’
Fees are as follows.
$20 per person for one course
$35 per person for two courses
$50 per person for all three courses
If you are volunteering for a production they may cover your fees. You should ask!