Secondary Schools Internship
The Theatre Royal Internship is a non-paid position available to secondary students in Yr 11 – 13.
Our internship provides a fantastic opportunity for a senior secondary school student with a passion for entertainment technology and theatre production.
The successful applicant will become an integral part of our venue staff during their time with us. They will gain experience through hands-on participation, working alongside our venue staff in completing the operations of our venue. We also aim to develop our intern’s core practical and communicative skill sets and highlight the various career pathways available in the performance entertainment and entertainment technology industries.
Our close working relationship with the Nelson Centre of Musical Arts (NCMA) also provides opportunity to experience their venue on days that we might not have a lot going on.
Work-load, as determined by the venue user may include:
- Building or equipment maintenance
- Event planning
- Technical systems prep
- Ticketing and promotional exercises
- Packing shows in or out
- Working alongside crew on the in-house production
- Assisting in the operation of technical systems
The duration of internships is for one complete semester. (Terms 1 & 2 and 3 & 4).
The successful applicant will select one day of the week that they will regularly attend the theatre.
This may be after-school on a weekday, all day on a school day (If your school offers a work experience program), or as required on a weekend day.
Each day will present its own unique time requirements. Venue Staff will provide regular communication on start and finish times. Work tends to finishes late and exact timing is often uncertain. For maximum engagement, we recommend Thursdays through to Sundays, which tend to be our busier days.
Interns are responsible for their own transport to and from the venue.
We accept that students may need some days off to focus on their studies. We ask for 2 weeks notice for any leave they may require.
- Experience a wide variety of performance/presentation styles we host
- Gain first-hand insight working alongside professional touring and local companies
- Make industry contacts
- Free tickets to select performances and free attendance all of our Crew Training Courses
How to Apply
Submit an application form along with the following:
- A brief cover letter / personal statement
- Resume style list of your previous theatrical experiences
- You may be asked for an interview in person or by phone or skype.
Applications for Semester 1 close February 10th, and Semester 2 close July 1st.
For crew training course information, visit www.theatreroyalnelson.co.nz/crew