Secondary Schools Intern Program
The Theatre Royal Internship is a non-paid position available to secondary students in Yr 11 – 13.
Our internship program engages students with a proven interest in entertainment technology or theatre production, and provides them experience behind the scenes of a professional theatre.
Interns form an integral part of our venue staff during their time with us. They will gain experience through hands-on participation working alongside our venue staff in completing the operations of our venue. We also aim to develop our intern’s core practical and communicative skill sets and highlight the various career pathways available in the performance entertainment and entertainment technology industries.
The nature of work on any given day is varied and dependant on the venue hirer and may include:
- Building or equipment maintenance
- Event planning
- Technical systems prep
- Ticketing and promotional exercises
- Packing shows in or out
- Working alongside crew on the in-house production
- Assisting in the operation of technical systems
The duration of internships is for one semester. (Terms 1+2 or 3+4).
Interns select one day they will regularly attend the theatre either after-school on a weekday, or as required on Saturday or Sunday.
Each day presents its own unique time requirements. Venue Staff will provide regular communication on start and finish times for your chosen day. Work often finishes late and exact timing is usually uncertain. Interns are responsible for their own transportation to and from the venue.
We accept that students may need some days off to focus on their studies, but we ask for advanced notice.
- Experience the wide variety of performance/presentation styles we host
- Gain first-hand insight working alongside professional touring and local companies
- Make industry contacts
- Free tickets to select performances and free attendance all of our Crew Training Courses
How to Apply
Submit an application form along with the following:
- A brief cover letter / personal statement
- Resume style list of your previous theatrical experiences
- You may be asked for an interview in person or by phone or skype.
Applications for Semester 1 close February 10th, and Semester 2 close July 1st.
For crew training course information, visit www.theatreroyalnelson.co.nz/crew