Collaboration and parnership is at the heart of all performing arts and we welcome and encourage professional companies and independent artists.
Performances are supported through partnering the Theatre Royals own infrastructure and resources with an artist’s or company’s productions.
Our aim is to assist artists and independent companies to achieve their artistic and financial objectives. Visiting companies are to provide a full and efficient company capable of presenting their Production and the Theatre Royal provides the following.
Support for artists:
No rental – Companies receive 70% the box office (plus GST) at the end of the performance period.
The following services are provided to visiting companies:
- Marketing support including opening night invitations to press, industry and guests/sponsors (postage costs are shared in accordance to the box office split – 70% is paid by the visiting company, 30% by the Theatre Royal).
- Publicity – including pre publicity, reviews in mainstream and local press, radio interviews and extensive web marketing
- Direct e-marketing – to our audience – including our Royal Family members, regular patrons, local residents, the arts sector in Nelson, student bodies and your targeted audience. Excellent advertising rates with the local media (print & radio).
- A beautifully restored theatre! The auditorium seats 332 patrons and all sound, lighting and technical support is offered at a small cost of $25 per hour.
- Production/Management support including production meetings and your scheduling requirements.
- Telephone and on-line booking service via the theatre’s ticketing agent Everyman Recrods – operated daily and online. Door sales are available at the theatre.
- Full front of house service and support
- Credit card and on-line bookings – partner companies pay 70% and the theatre pays 30% as per the box office split.
- Production advice and mentoring for new co-operatives, companies and artists.
The Theatre Royal is in the heart of Nelson – close to many restaurants, cafes and hotels. The theatre also operates a comfortable foyer/licensed bar and can provide catering & corporate hospitality for your sponsors at competitive prices.